- To give students a high level of education and professional skills required to function effectively in any aspect of the mass media industry.
- To act as a springboard for advanced studies in any area of Mass Communication.
- At the end of the programme, graduates of the Institute should be able to do the following:
- Plan, prepare and execute Public Relations and Advertising programmes as well as be able to organize and manage marketing communication organizations at all levels.
- Gather, investigate and report news for the print and broadcast media.
- Select, edit and prepare news items, features, photographic materials for the print and broadcast media.
- Produce, present and direct programmes for the electronic media.
Special French Programmes
In consideration of the geo-political location of the country, surrounded at all borders by French speaking countries (Chad, Niger, Benin Republic and Cameroon), the school introduced its French programmes to train Nigerians who desire to meet up with the demands of today's society.
Beginners' French Level 1
For those who do not have any knowledge of the French language but desire to learn.
Beginners' French II
For those with some knowledge of the French language and who would like to improve on their competence.
Course Duration: 20 weeks for each level
Time: 5.00pm 700 pm (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays).
The time is flexible and could be arranged at the convenience of the parties involved
Venue: International Institute of Journalism (IIJ),
NUJ National Secretariat, Area 11,
Garki Abuja or any other place of choice of the other party.
Special programmes are also organized for Civil Servants, Diplomats, Businessmen and Protocol Officers to suit their areas of interest. These courses are also arranged to take place at the client's place of choice and at convenient times.
Semesters and Course Load
The International Institute runs full-time courses lasting 2 semesters each year.
1st Semester - October March
2nd Semester - March July
Each student is enrolled at the Institute for at least 12 semester credits. They are subject to continuous assessment system throughout their programme and are required to write a project at the end of their courses under appointed Supervisors.
Students should note that all the courses offered each semester are compulsory.